Hong Kong is a wonderful destination, will lots of things to see and experience, but here is our list of 6 things you must do during your Hong Kong vacation.
1. Taking a ride on the Star Ferry across the harbour is something to definitely experience. It is wonderful to see the people who have made a life on the harbour fishing and existing in the middle of the city. There is also an incredible floating restaurant on the harbour where you can experience wonderful culinary delights.
2. Taking the tram to the top of Victoria Peak is also something to experience if you have made the effort to go all the way to Hong Kong.
The pollution is something to experience in itself and going to the peak would best be done before it gets too bad if you wish to see the sights. Often though even if the view is bad, there are a couple of lads who will take your picture and superimpose it on a picture of what you would have seen on a clear day – quite fun !
3. Ocean Park is a full-blown amusement park. There is a popular Dragon Roller Coaster, Ferris wheel and other white knuckle rides. There is a marine park with a Shark Aquarium that will interest the younger visitors to Hong Kong.
You will also see a traditional Chinese style village where street fairs add exciting colour to the whole atmosphere.
4. Wong Tai Sin is the most well-known and temple in the city and is also the busiest. The temple is a stunning example of a traditional Chinese temple. What stood out to me when I visited was the temple was the clouds of smoke and the intense smell from the incense sticks that the visitors were burning. The Chinese believe that by burning these sticks that they will have good fortune. It is a free to visit the temple (donations are welcome).
5. Yuen Po Street Bird Market. There are hundreds of exotic birds in equally exotic cages as buying a bird appears to be a business matter in Hong Kong. People spend hours with these birds and I was informed that customers will only buy a bird if the bird chooses them. It is considered to be bad luck to purchase a bird that is not happy as the birds happiness is of utmost importance to Hong Kongians.
6. If you are a shopaholic then a visit Stanley Market is a must. You will be able to pick up bargains for a fraction of the price the are sold for in town. This is a goo time to mention not to buy anything from a shop in the main city that does not have a name / board of the shop front. Shopkeepers in these shops may well take your money and tell you that they do not have the goods in stock. They then take your hotel details and promise to bring the items that you have paid for to your hotel and guess what? They don’t.
Repulse Bay is the most famous beach in Hong Kong, apparently so named because the British army had seen off some pirates in olden times! This is a popular destination for the Chinese people and can become so packed that there is no room to sit!
November is the best time to go if you want to avoid the rush and the temperature is still a comfortably warm 70 degrees.